Last night I was changing one of the light bulbs in the antique fixture in the dining room and since it was dark I had the fixture on so I could see what I was doing. I’ve done this countless times and never had a problem with it before. As I was screwing it in the socket must have shorted and exploded in a shower of sparks and smoke. I screamed an obscenity so loud that Lori thought I must have gotten shocked. I didn’t even have the bulb screwed in yet so when I pulled my hand away I was still holding the smoking bulb. When it finished sparking, I took a look at the base and the arcing had completely burned a hole through the base. It also destroyed the socket in the fixture so I’m going to have to repair that. The guy that we bought the light from liked the authenticity of antique sockets. I think I’ll be replacing them with UL approved modern units. That paper insulation apparently doesn’t last forever.