We pulled up the old carpet in the office room today and found a layer of particle board under that. As we pulled up the particle board, we found that the original flooring was in pretty good shape, which was really great news. Curiously though, in the middle of the room there was one sheet of plywood instead of the particle board. Saving that one for last, we found out why when it was pulled up revealing that the floor was pretty busted up there. During the 1992 earthquake our house fell off the foundation and lots of the flooring was damaged. Some rooms don’t have any original flooring left, and some like the hallway show signs of being repaired. Since the hallway has some original flooring left but still needs to be repaired, we plan to tear it up and use it to repair the busted flooring in the office.
My original plan was to recarpet the office with a more Victorian carpet, but after seeing how much better the room looks with the original flooring our plans have changed.