Saturday was probably the most gorgeous day we had in Ferndale this year, and the weather forecast promised even warmer temps for today. Which was good news because I had two photoshoots planned for the day. Haley still owed me some time so we were going to go to the beach along the Lost Coast, and then later I had a shoot scheduled with Katherine in Loleta.
I woke up at 4:00am to the sound of water dripping. I thought maybe it was just a heavy fog dripping off the roof, but when I got up I found that it was raining. About 11:00 it started clearing up so I checked the weather forecast online to take a look at the radar pics. When I got to the page for Ferndale, there was a local flood warning flashing on the screen. How could this be when it was only a very light rain for a few hours? Well it turns out that the 2-3 foot swells that I saw on the beach yesterday had turned into 15-18 foot swells due to the winds picking up. So not a good day to be photographing in the tide pools, and the first shoot was cancelled. The second shoot was at 5pm, and by then the clouds had cleared but it remained a bit cold and windy. We got through the first part of the shoot but called it quits early. I was hoping to shoot until sunset, but it didn’t look like it was going to be an interesting sunset, and the wind was too much to work in. So maybe more of Katherine later this week if the weather cooperates.