Apparently the saying is true, “build it and they will come”. No sooner did we put plants in the pond, the frogs moved in and started laying their eggs.
But even earlier some unwanted guests moved in, mosquitoes. Since I didn’t want to do anything chemical that might harm the frogs, I looked into more natural methods. It seems mosquito fish are the desired solution. We thought about goldfish, because they’re a lot more interesting to look at, but it seems they wouldn’t differentiate between mosquito larvae and tadpoles. Mosquito fish are too small to bother the tadpoles, so we got about 20 of them. They seem to be doing their job as the mosquito population has been steadily decreasing.