Today the phones got installed. I was a bit naive on how commercial phone lines get installed. I figured they would place the terminal where I wanted it to come into the building and then I would wire from there. Nope. There is one box for the whole building, and the terminal was at the opposite corner of the building from where I wanted the line to come in. The phone guy wasn’t much help but I traced my line into the building to where it went under the building in the front. We were very lucky to discover that in the front of our space there is a doorway to crawl space. I went to the hardware store to purchase one of those flashlights that you strap to your head so I would be properly equipped for my spelunking expedition.
I started out by brushing away a huge cobweb and then climbed down through the hole. Fortunately, there weren’t many more cobwebs to deal with. I guess spiders don’t like dark wet spaces. The ground was very wet clay, and I slowly inched my way to the back of the building on my belly. The crawlspace kept getting tighter and tighter, and about 3′ away from being able to grab the cables I dropped down, I couldn’t proceed. I found a piece of wood from the floor repair (when they dropped the chimney through the floor) and was able to snag the two cables. Then I tried to back up, but my shirt got all bunched up so that didn’t work. I finally was able to turn my self around and made my way back from the underworld. Then it took me the rest of the day and one more trip to the hardware store to get the phones so they would actually work.